Further west, a settlement on Coons' Rancho called Franklin became the nucleus of the future El Paso, Texas.
A year later, pioneer Anson Mills completed his plan of the town, calling it El Paso.
Stephenson, who had married into the local Hispanic aristocracy, established the Rancho de San José de la Concordia, which became the nucleus of Anglo and Hispanic settlement within the limits of modern-day El Paso, in 1844.
El Paso County was established in March 1850, with San Elizario as the first county seat.
William Beaumont Army Medical Center, Biggs Army Airfield, and Fort Bliss call the city home.
Fort Bliss is one of the largest military complexes of the United States Army and the largest training area in the United States.
However, the region was claimed by Texas as part of the treaty signed with Mexico and numerous attempts were made by Texas to bolster these claims.
However, the village which consisted of El Paso and the surrounding area remained essentially a self-governed community with both representatives of the Mexican and Texan government negotiating for control until Texas irrevocably took control in 1846.